Generation License Application Requirements
- Certificate of Incorporation and Memorandum and Articles of Association, or Deed of Partnership or Deed of Trust
- Registered Title Deed to Site, or Sale Agreement, or Deed of Assignment/Gift/Long Lease, or evidence of submission of a title deed to a relevant land processing agency (as applicable).
- Tax Clearance Certificate for immediate past three (3) years.
- Ten-year Business Plan.
- MoU with or Letter of intent from Engineering Procurement Contract (EPC) Contractor (if applicable).
- MoU with or Letter of Intent from the technical partner (if applicable).
- Financing Agreements or Letter to fund the Project from the financial institution(s).
- Timelines for commissioning of the power plant and on the date when different capacities of the plant will come into operation.
- Site Map
- Location Map
- A principal single-line diagram of the Project site
- Water supply and availability analysis for plant and staff use
- Plant Design
- Power Station Information
- Generator Unit Information
- Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) Contract
- Details of phasing Project, if applicable
- Auxiliary Systems
- Ancillary Services to be provided by the plant
- Report of evacuation studies
- Station safety arrangements
- Fuel Sourcing, Supply, and Transportation Arrangements/Agreements and other mandatory documents
- Policy for managing effluents and discharges
- Expected date of Commissioning
- Evidence of Approval from TCN confirming that proposed connection point has the capacity to take load which will be fed to its Connection (where applicable)
Documents to be submitted for a transmission license
- Completed application form.
- Certificate of incorporation and memorandum and articles of association, or deed of Partnership, or deed of trust.
- The registered title deed to site, or sale agreement, or deed of assignment/gift, or evidence of Submission of a title deed to a relevant land processing agency (as applicable).
- Tax clearance certificate for immediate past three (3) years.
- Ten-year business plan.
- Off-take agreement or arrangement.
- MOU with or letter of intent from engineering procurement contract (EPC) contractor (if Applicable).
- MOU with or letter of intent from the technical partner (if applicable).
- Financing agreements or letter to fund the project from a financial institution(s).
- Network agreements with distribution or trading licensee
- Single line diagram of the entire transmission networks (132 and above)
- Single line diagram of the transmission networks showing points of connections to major Loads/power stations.
- Number, names, and capacities of transmission sub-stations
- Number and lengths of transmission lines
- Interconnecting transformers (number, types, capacities)
- Reactive compensation equipment (details of compensators installed)
- Sub-stations layouts diagrams showing:
- Bus layouts.
- Electrical circuitry, lines, cables, transformers, switchgears, etc.
- Earthing arrangements
- Switching facilities and interlocking arrangements
- Numbering nomenclature of transformers, circuits, circuit breakers and isolating
- Switches in liaison with TCN.
- Transmission lines parameters:
- Designation of transmission lines
- Route length of transmission lines
- Number of circuits
- Per circuit values:
- Operating voltage(s)
- Positive phase sequence reactance – ohms/km
- iii. Positive phase sequence resistance – ohms/km
- Positive phase sequence susceptance – ohms/km
- Negative phase sequence reactance – ohms/KM
- Negative phase sequence resistance – ohms/KM
- vii. Negative phase sequence susceptance – mhos/KM
- viii. Zero phase sequence reactance – ohms/KM
- Zero phase sequence resistance – ohms/KM
- Zero phase sequence susceptance – mhos/KM
- Transformer Parameters (for all transformers)
- Rated MVA
- Voltage Ratio
- Vector Group
- Positive sequence reactance on rated MVA base (Max., Min., & Normal)
- Positive sequence resistance on rated MVA base (Max., Min., & Normal)
- Zero sequence reactance on rated MVA base
- Tap change range (+% to - %) and steps
- Details of tap changer
- Neutral grounding transformer/Resistor values
- Type of Cooling
- Equipment details:
- Circuit Breakers
- Isolating switches
- Current transformers
- Potential transformers
- Lightning arresters
- Relaying and Metering:
- Relay protection installed for transformers and feeders along with their settings and level of coordination with others
- Transmission Metering details
- Transmission Lines Right of Way (row) and Trace Clearance
- Details of Communication and SCADA Facilities available.
- Total System Peak Load to be connected
- Maximum Capacity of Network (MW, MVAR)
- Health & Safety Policy
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for new transmission Lines
Process for Investment in Transmission Network by Network Licensees
The process of investment in the transmission network in Nigeria by a network licensee (holder of a transmission or distribution license) is as follows:
- Complete Application Form in Schedule “A” of the Regulation;
- Submit the Investment Plan, including the milestones as well as other relevant documents that may assist the Commission in the consideration of the application;
- The Commission shall acknowledge in writing within seven (7) days of the submission of the application;
- The Commission shall communicate to the licensee, with reasons its approval or refusal within thirty (30) days of the submission of the application;
- Where the Licensee is not satisfied with the Commission’s decision, the licensee may apply for a review of the decision in line with Section 50 of the EPSR Act
- Where the Commission has given its approval, the Licensee shall ensure strict compliance with the Commission’s approval;
- The Licensee shall obtain the Commission’s approval prior to any deviation from the approved investment plan and milestone.
Process for Application of IEDN License – power distribution
- Obtain application form contained in Schedule 2 of the Application for license regulations.
- Submit the following by hand or by regular courier to the Commission headquarters.
- Completed Application Form;
- Certificate of Incorporation and Memorandum and Articles of Association, or Deed of Partnership, or Deed of Trust;
- Registered Title Deed to Site, or Sale Agreement, or Deed of Assignment/Gift, or evidence of submission of a title deed to a relevant land processing agency (as applicable);
- Tax Clearance Certificate for immediate past three (3) years;
- Ten-year Business Plan;
- Power Purchase Agreement with Generating Licensee or Resale Agreement with Trading Licensee;
- Network Agreement with Transmission Licensee;
- Retail Agreement with end-user for supply of power;
- MoU with or Letter of intent from Engineering Procurement Contract (EPC) Contractor (if applicable);
- MoU with or Letter of Intent from the technical partner (if applicable);
- Financing Agreements or Letter to fund the project from a financial institution(s);
- A detailed forecast of the demand for electricity in the area of supply;
- Project location;
- Line Voltage Level (33KV, 11KV, 415V & 230V);
- Connection Point(s);
- Pole type (wood, Concrete, Steel, etc);
- Installation method (overhead, underground, etc);
- Detailed project design: Site map, Single line Diagram, Control Rooms, Sub-stations;
- Line Length;
- Distribution Environmental Impact Assessment;
- Transformer(s) type & data (attach nameplate data of all transformers);
- Connection agreement with TCN.
Requirements for the Application of a Trading License
- Completed Application Form.
- Certificate of Incorporation and Memorandum and Articles of Association, or Deed of Partnership, or Deed of Trust.
- Registered Title Deed to Site, or Sale Agreement, or Deed of Assignment/Gift, or evidence of submission of a title deed to a relevant land processing agency (as applicable).
- Tax Clearance Certificate for immediate past three (3) years.
- Ten-year Business Plan.
- Financing Agreements or Letter from financial institution(s).
- Power purchase Agreement (PPA) with Generation Licensee
- Network Agreement with Transmission Licensee
- Retail Agreement with end-user for the supply of power or Resale Agreement with Distribution Licensee
Requirements for Obtaining Air Quality Permit
Completed application form(s) with relevant attachments shall be submitted in two hard copies along with a software copy (in Microsoft Word) to the NESREA Office nearest to the facility.
The following documents, among others, must accompany each completed application form:
- Receipts of payment for the Processing Fees;
- Payment receipt (official revenue receipt) from NESREA Office nearest to the company’s facility or area of operation for the Processing Fee(s);
- Certificate of Incorporation;
- Tax Clearance for the last 3 years;
- Evidence of Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) – where applicable;
- Environmental Management Plan (EMP);
- Environmental Audit Report (EAR) – where applicable; and
- Monthly Monitoring Report for Last 3 Months- where applicable.
Procedure for Obtaining an Environmental Impact Assessment Certificate
Contractors in need of an EIA should follow the below-set guidelines and procedure:
- Project proponent should submit evidence of payment to Federal Ministry of Environment, Environmental Assessment Department and collect project registration/Notification form.
- Proponent return completed EIA registration form with EIA Terms of Reference (ToR) and comprehensive project proposal for the proposed project to the ministry.
- Initial Environmental Examination (IEE)
- Site verification of the proposed project location is conducted by the Ministry
- Scoping of the project
- EIA screening of the project scope and ToR alongside with the report of the site verification for the EIA categorization
- Evaluation and Analysis
- The EIA study is carried out including baseline environmental data gathering and laboratory analysis of collected samples witnessed by the Ministry –two seasons.
- Submission of hard copies (depending on magnitude & category) and an electronic copy of the draft EIA report to the Ministry.
- The draft EIA report is displayed for public review and participation depending on EIA category the report is classified. (see 3b above)
- The draft EIA report is reviewed by an independent Panel of Experts with relevant regulators (the review level depends on the category of the project).
- The approval or disapproval of the EIA of the product by the Ministry base on the recommendations of the independent panel of experts.
- The final EIA report is produced by the proponent
- Submission and approval of the final EIA report for issuance of EIA certificate and Environmental Impact Statement with NESREA
Application for Factory Registration
The procedure for registration of a factory is as follows:
- Purchase of application form from the Ministry of Labor and Employment for Registration of Factory (Form LAB/F/1), on payment of a non-refundable fee of N5000 (Five Thousand Naira Only)
- Completion & submission of 2 copies of the Application form at the nearest State Labor Office. The Completed Application Form should be submitted with the following documents attached:
- Two Copies of Certificate of Incorporation.
- Two Copies of List of Machineries, their place(s) and dates of Procurement.2 Copies of List of Materials, their known Hazards and Exposure Risks Control.
- Two Copies of Architectural Drawings of the Factory Building.
- Two Copies of Locational Drawings of the Factory.
- Two Copies of the Machinery Layout of the Production Floor(s).
- Pre-registration Inspection Report by an Inspector of Factories in the nearest State Office.
Procedure for NOTAP Registration
Every application for registration of a contract or agreement shall be addressed to the Director General of NOTAP. Such application shall be made within 30 days from the effective date of the applicable Technology Transfer Agreement and shall be accompanied by:
- The Memorandum and Articles of Association of the local company;
- Copies of the Company’s certificate of incorporation;
- A copy of the feasibility study of the relevant project;
- Approval granted by shareholders authorizing the registration of the Agreement;
- Duly completed application form;
- Copies of NOTAP Questionnaire;
- Evidence of payment of application fees.
Procedure for Application for Granting of Planning Permit
- Submission of Documents required (Architectural, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical Drawings, Survey Plan & Title Documents), for screening
- Part payment of Application Fee
- Site Visit and Inspection
- Submission of amended documents where required and full payment of Assessment Fee
- Endorsement of Architectural Drawing
- Endorsement of Structural, Mechanical & Electrical Drawings
- Vetting and recommending of Application for further processing
- Confirmation of Planning Permit Processing Fee
- Application forwarded to Lagos State Internal Revenue Services (LIRS) for Tax Clearance
- Application forwarded for Consideration of grant of Planning Permit (Concurrent Approvals)
- Approval by relevant official
- Approved application forwarded to the District Officer for Permit endorsement
- District Officer endorses and release of Planning Permit
Documents Required for Planning Permit:
The following documents will be required by the LSPPPA:
- Architectural, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical Drawings;
- Title Documents;
- Certificate of Incorporation of Applicant
- Survey Plan- for Charting to ascertain Zoning/land Use;
- Comprehensive 250M radius Location Plan
- Detailed Physical Planning Technical Report (PPTR).
- Environmental Impact Analysis Report (EIAR).
- Tax Clearance
- Letters of Clearance from other Government Agencies duly certified (Where applicable).
- Land Use and Allocation Directorate -All-State lands and Government Schemes;
- Land Services Department - For Governor's consent and Subsequent transaction on landed properties;
- iii. Ministry of Transportation -In case of Properties within the proposed Metro line corridor, traffic generating activities;
- Ministry of Environment - Office of Drainage for Applications within drainage alignment, gorge, floodplains / water bodies, lagoon, shoreline, Environmental Impact Assessment Clearance e.t.c;
- Lagos State Urban Renewal Authority- Applications which fall within Urban Renewal Scheme Areas;
- Lagos State Surveyor General's Office -Applications that fall within acquisition, revocation and excision areas;
- New Towns Development Authority- Letter of Confirmation of allocation and Capital Contribution.
Right of Way Application
A Licensee shall process the acquisition of access rights in the manner stipulated by the Office of the Surveyor-General of the Federation. The Licensee shall, in addition, submit to NERC the following:
- the environmental impact clearance certificate;
- the approval of the Office of the Surveyor-General for the project;
- the final Right of Way map for the facility;
- a comprehensive statement of the Project impact with a list of qualified or eligible persons for compensation;
- any other relevant document related to the acquisition of the access rights.
Where NERC approves the application, it shall issue a certificate to the Licensee as evidence of the acquisition of the access rights over the said land.
Procedure for Obtaining Water License
- Make an application for a license in writing addressed to the Minister;
- Complete and submit the application form
- An application shall be accompanied by the following documents:
- Certificate of Registration
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Deed of Partnership
- Deed of Trust
- Certified Audited Financial Statement and Accounts for the last 3 years
- Detailed feasibility Study
- Title documents to Project site land.
- Relevant Maps and Drawings with respect to the Project site.
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- 10 Year Business Plan
- Payment of prescribed fees
Permit Requirements and Process for Qualification as a Meter Asset Provider
Applicants shall submit the following documents:
- Completed application form.
- Certificate of incorporation and memorandum and articles of association.
- Tax clearance certificates.
- Certified audited financial statements for 3 consecutive years prior to the year in which the application is made.
- Detailed resumes of Applicant's board of directors, management and technical staff.
- Ten-year Business Plan.
- Applicant relevant experience in asset finance, metering, and other relating business.